Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tips for Packing for your Honeymoon

I'm so honored to be kicking off Miss Emilee's honeymoon hiatus blog party! 
And what more appropriate than a post on how I helped her pack for her vaycay with her hubby ...

Your wedding is just around the corner! Rehearsal dress, outfit during hair and make-up, wedding dress, jewelry, shoes, check check check. Ah yes, and pack for a spectacular 7 day trip right before pulling off a massive event for 150 of your closest friends. Take a deep breath, grab a cup of tea, and let's get give this exciting part of the journey some special thought in just 3 simple steps:

1. Dress for once in a lifetime memories. I know, you picture being so exhausted post-wedding that you can't wait to flop down on a lounge chair holding hands with your new hubby. Yet in the midst of total relaxation, there are going to be some pictures of beaches, mountain tops, cathedrals, dinners -- photos to capture this special trip. And you want those pictures to look as spectacular as your heart is feeling! So make sure every little top, cozy cover-up, simple dress you throw in your bag is colorful and flattering. And throw in some jewelry or hair clips that will make your pictures look extra cute.

1, 2
2. Start with your one must-bring. What's the one dress you've been dying to wear on your honeymoon? The navy one that goes with your marigold cardigan and brown strappy sandals? Great. Now what else goes with your marigold cardigan and brown strappy sandals? Another way to think of this: Pack within a color scheme. Make sure everything you bring goes with navy, marigold and brown. If that red dress really needs to be paired with black shoes and a black cardigan? Save it to wear for date night when you get home. The goal is to make everything in your wardrobe interchangeable so you save space and maximize outfit choices once you arrive. This also makes packing less stressful as you don't have to plan out each day -- as long as you have a few things in each category, you can be spontaneous when you're there.

via
3. Don't buy for a week, invest for a year. You just hosted a lovely {albeit expensive} celebration, and are now kicking up your heels on vacation. As easy way to save money amidst all the expenses is to make sure you only buy things for your honeymoon that you will wear back home. If tie-dye and hawaiian print aren't really your thing in real life, then stick to stripes and florals that you can wear year round. If you're really looking to save some money, ask a girlfriend to borrow a few things from her closet that will feel new to you. Or check out a site like Rent The Runway if having a designer dress you borrow for the week will make you feel extra special.

via
We're going to pack only great pieces, that all go together, & don't break our budget? Umm, I'm pretty sure husband-to-be is going to be quite impressed, don't you? Heck. He might even be so wowed with your small suitcase and thrifty budget, he'll let you convince him to pack only brightly colored shirts for awesome pictures too. :)

So I want to hear ... Where would you go on your dream honeymoon & what would you be wearing?

You can visit Hilary's site HERE to check out all her amazing styling opportunities for you!

18 comments:

Hilary Rushford said...

My dream honeymoon would include relaxing in a hammock on a white sand beach in a breezy white dress. Naturally it'd look amazing against my rarely-but-miraculously tanned skin. :)

Anna, Oh yes! I like that. said...

I actually had a honeymoon already but if I had a do-over DREAM version I think I'd like to go to India or somewhere similarly exotic. I guess that would mean lots of linen; pretty sundresses and white trousers to keep cool in the heat. Oooh, and a lovely sun hat.

Hope you have an amazing honeymoon x

Maren Mullin said...

My husband planned a three week surprise vacation and didn't tell me where we were going... so I based my outfits around the time at each temperature (the only hint he would give me). Four days at 30 degrees, 10 and 90 degrees, etc. I packed less but better, and wore every item of clothing at least once. I went with black as the base, instead of brown, which helped a ton.

Jillian Nicole said...

Hubby and I did two very different honeymoon vacations. For the first one, we went down to Cabo, so it was mostly swim suits and cover ups {all coordinating of course!} and then we went up to Lake Tahoe for ten days and did much more outdoor-sy things! Very fun to change it up in the middle!:)

Anna @ IHOD said...

Need to share this with my engaged bff. I totally agree with your points! Husband and I will be celebrating 5 years next year and we want to re-honeymoon:)

Carson Saldivar said...

What a fantastic post - so excited to have discovered Hilary & her site. Cannot wait to stay tuned and see all the fabulousness from you both! These are must-share tips!

Hilary Rushford said...

Ooh you girls are making me want to travel! {And dress for travel.} Miss Anna Writes I am beyond dying to go to India! That sounds amazing. And the idea of wandering about in white trousers sounds so tres chic. Every photo I see of women in India is drenched in bright bold colors so I will definitely pack my most colorful pieces when I get there one day ...

Hilary Rushford said...

Aww thanks Carson! What sweet encouragement! Can't wait to meet you over on Dean Street Society. :)

Anonymous said...

Love this post! I have a friend getting married in a few months and I will definitely be referring her to this :)

Gladys Hedaya said...

Hi Hilary,
Great post!
I've already gone on a honeymoon in Europe but if I can do it again, I would dress more coordinated like you suggested, so I do not have to bring so many shoes.

Rikke Hansen said...

Thanks Hilary! I got married 14 years ago, but am actually going on a special Disney Cruise to Mexico in 5 weeks time. These tips are so perfect for that trip (and for traveling in general, so well done for multi-tasking there:)). I love how your style tips are within reach for everyone and how you still manage to make them special. Keep it up!!

Rick Yaeger said...

Great stuff, Hillary. Passing this along to our honeymoon planner (aka my fiancé). She'll love it! She is such an avid traveller but this is a very special trip and requires special planning. Thanks for the tips.

GoodCopyFast said...

Tahiti overwater bungalo in a new bikini.

Amanda Darby said...

Love this!

Susan said...

Love your post Hilary!

My dream honeymoon would be in.. Venice, Italy! And I'll be wearing.. anything you suggested!

Thanks fot the tips!

christine said...

Italy - probably somewhere between Florence and Sienna... wear... something Italian..

Adelle Gabrielson said...

Great tips! I love vacation packing - I always end up combining my own stuff in new and different ways. Something about it all being a suitcase together makes it easier to come up with new ideas. My staple this year has been a Max Studio maxi sun dress - it can dress up or down so easily and the jersey never wrinkles! And lots of big bright jewelry...

Amanda said...

I JUST came back from my friend's wedding - wish I could have sent her your blog two days ago! I don't have a honeymoon on the horizon but I am a frequent traveler and these are great tips for me regardless of the trip. Thanks!

Post a Comment