Friday, January 20, 2012

Destination Anywhere!

Good Morning Lovelies! I'm Jillian Nicole from Uniquely Chic and I'm so excited to meet you all! A little bit about me before I launch into my guest post: I'm a Southern California import, currently living the ex-pat life with my Handsome Husband in Edinburgh, Scotland--yes, it does rain virtually every day and no, I'm not even remotely used to it yet! I'm new to the blogging world, but have quickly fallen in love with having my own little piece of internet real estate and connecting with some pretty fabulous gals from all over the place! And I'm super honoured that Emilee would let me hijack you all for the day while she's cruising around Hawaii! Lucky Duck!:) So, while your fearless leader is honeymooning it up, I thought we would spend a little time talking about European Destination weddings and how to make them your own!

I'm sure some of you have toyed with the idea of a Destination Wedding...I mean really, at some point during the process {or just in your wildest dreams}, who hasn't thought of grabbing their fiancée and just leggin' it to some gorgeous local and making it all offic!?? Well, if you're like I was, and the idea of a Destination wedding sounds great in theory, but then you start thinking of airline costs and how your family would basically disown you for eloping, let me suggest some ways to bring the destination to you! First though, let's take a look at some pretty, pretty pictures to get our destination, wedding juices flowing!
  Who doesn't love the idea of having your most special day amidst fields of gorgeous smelling lavender and indulging in a French Croquembouche {those sticky, sweet cones of choux pastry buns that literally translated mean, “crunch in the mouth”. Cute, right?!}!? 
Tuscan Villas? Check. Vineyards that go on for miles? Check. al fresco dining in a beautiful, centuries-old building? Check, check, and check!! Italy is my second favourite place in the world {first being London where I met Mr. Handsome!} and if I had to pick a wedding do-over destination, this would be it my friends!
 
 
If you're ideal day consists of quaint churches and cobble stone streets, the UK is where it's at! Embrace the stereotypes and traditions of this small {but chic!} island and throw a good ol' fashioned Tea Party your guests aren't soon to forget! Croquet included!:)

 So, now the question is, how do we as brides/wedding dreamers {who don't want to fork over major bucks to have our special day in a European castle}, manage to incorporate the feel of a specific destination into our own American-a weddings?  Well, I'm so glad you asked!  

Tips On Creating a Destination Dream Wedding Anywhere on Virtually Any Budget:

1.  ADD SMALL DETAILS FROM THE COUNTRY OF YOUR CHOICE: In love with Italy? Personalize beautiful bottles of Olive Oil and hand them out to your guests as favours. If the quaintness of England is more your style, have your dessert bar set up as a Tea Party with little bits and pieces on pretty stacked tiers.

2.  INCORPORATE OTHER COUNTRY'S TRADITIONS: Maybe your fiancée or someone in his extended family has French ancestry. Honour that by having a groom's Croquembouch instead of the traditional American groom's cake! Just like the idea of an Italian style wedding? If your wedding is intimate enough, why not try sitting everyone at one long table and serving food Italian “family style”.

3. SAY IT WITH FLOWERS:  Incorporate lavender into your tablescapes or gift your guests with little muslin bags of dried lavender to throw at you and your spouse as you walk back down the aisle.  Or include various types of English roses in your bouquet {some even look very similar to peonies without the cost!}.  You could also commission your florist to create a pretty, green ivy trellis {like the one shown in the Italy board above} for you and your love to stand under during the ceremony.

These are only a few ways of brining the destination to you, and I would love to hear if any of you have other ideas for creating your dream destination wedding!  Thanks so much for hanging out with me today and I look forward to "meeting" some of you in the blogosphere very, very soon!:)

uniquely yours,
Jillian Nicole

41 comments:

Jillian Nicole said...

Just a quick note to say all pictures via Style Me Pretty, and you can view all boards here: http://www.stylemepretty.com/dashboard/jillian.manger/boards/

MLaffs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MLaffs said...

The Tuscan Villa is exquisite! I could see that one with a hint of orange being really beautiful! Nicely done little miss international =]

Liesl said...

What a gorgeous guest post and oh how I love the Tuscan style! Destination wedding always look so magical to me!

Liesl :)

Lisa said...

Jillian! These boards are amazing! I an't even pick a favorite because every single one is gorgeous. I'll definitely be saving this post to send to brides I know that are throwing destination weddings! :)

Judith said...

Such lovely locations! Great ideas and pictures!

Hilary Rushford said...

With my penchant for all things British I love the ideal of having a croquette set {what cute pictures that could be} & the mismatched china which is exactly what I use in my house. Will definitely keep this in mind when I plan a British Brooklyn wedding one day! ;)

Carol said...

I love the rainbow in the British picture - it's a shame it can't be brought out to order.

Breezy said...

Having lived there for four months, my personal favorite is the Tuscan style! And i love the idea of bringing the destination to your own wedding! Definitely a lot more doable for those of us who don't have the means or ambition to run off to a faraway place (although I did try to convince Fiancé!) Wonderful ideas Jillian =)

Anonymous said...

Loving the English Style!!

Jessica said...

I love the lavender flowers in the french setting.

And such a great idea to bring in little momentos from your location of choice. Jillian, you would know from experience, your father-in-law did this in his toast at your wedding. I loved hearing about the ancestry. :)

Overall loved it! Keep posting lady!

Anonymous said...

Great tips and beautiful ideas! Thanks!

Marie said...

I debated a destination wedding and I'm kind of wishing I had followed that idea. Such a great way to combine love of travel with a wedding!

Natasha said...

Love destination weddings!

Becky said...

Wonderful ideas, thank you

Ashley said...

These picture boards are amazing! What a great find!

Jessica T. said...

I did a destination wedding in Cancun, destination weddings are the best! I wish I had seen more blogs like this when I was planning.

Anonymous said...

I'm dreaming of a castle wedding...

Amy said...

I'm so glad I found this blog. Just wonderful. Any ideas for a destination wedding in Asia?

Christy said...

Muslin bags of dried lavendar? WOW. What an idea! I never would have thought to do that.

Amy (again) said...

I just re-read this post and realized this is ideas to bring the wedding to you! My apologies. These idaes are even better!

Arlene Cassid said...

I love the idea of this

Viv said...

Jillian, thank you for blogging this. I am passing this along to a girlfriend of mine who would love these ideas, she's dying for a destination wedding but money is tight.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had seen this when planning my own wedding

Anonymous said...

J'adore the French inspiration!

Ashley W. said...

Great ideas. Jillian the link to your blog is not working, do you have a different blog location?

Anonymous said...

I wish I had seen something like this when I was starting to plan my wedding. It's unique and there are so many ideas to play around with.

Chrissy said...

Very useful tips - I hope to get married someday and put them to use

Alejandra said...

This has inspired me to change my whole wedding! Thank you Jillian!

karen dt said...

italy is the most romantic place in the world - but i do like the other boards also

Jessica Blooth said...

I like the tea party ideas to represent england

Anonymous said...

This idea is fabulous, just fabulous

lisa c. said...

my girflriend just sent me this link and told me to check it out. i'm so glad i did! we have a group that comes together to brainstorm wedding ideas. this is something creative that we haven't seen before. we are so glad we found this.

Kari said...

Lisa we saw the email at the same time! Isn't it a great idea for the outdoor setting you want? I am so excited to help!

Jillian Nicole said...

WOW! All these comments have seriously made my day! You all are wonderful! I actually changed my blog address and title, so very sorry about that confusion!! You can find me at miminicoleblog.blogspot.com

:) Hope to "meet" you all soon over on Mimi Nicole!

Lizeth said...

Indeed the our future brides group loves finding new ideas! I'm so glad we were sent this link. I'm the only one who has already had a wedding, but helping my friends plan theirs is soooo fun! This makes me wish I could plan mine all over again.

mariana said...

i wish there was a *like* option for this. i did this for my wedding last spring. my husband is greek and we incorporated elements from greece. i would also recommend trying to find someone in the country you are using for inspiration who has planned a wedding in that country. they will be able to provide ideas and details that we in the US may not know about (my sister in law in greece gave me so many ideas)

Alejandra said...

Mariana-are you willing to share some of these tips and ideas? I would really love to hear more about what you did, see your pics, etc. Do you have a blog or website?

Christie C said...

Liz/Kari/Lisa don't you love this idea??! I knew it would be a great resources for the brides-to-be!

Jen said...

drooling over these boards...so beautiful...

Anonymous said...

some of the blog party ideas are really good, and some aren't (a diy tree? not sure why so many people seem to love that idea) but this is the best by far! bringing the world to you, such a great idea. thanks!

Post a Comment