Monday, December 5, 2011

DIY Tree Topper

As you may have seen from previous posts, it is Mr. H and my first Christmas together as a married couple. We are having so much fun doing normal "holiday" things together, but one thing we've realized is a lot of the stuff our families just had ready to go for the holidays, we don't have. For example - a tree topper. We got our little tree and decorated it all up (ornaments was another thing we didn't have!) and then we realized we didn't have a topper. So as we were looking at a bunch of options in a store, Mr. H so lovingly volunteered me saying, I think you should just make one. At first, I was like... "Oh, I should, should I?" But of course, I couldn't turn down the challenge. So here is our first DIY star tree topper!
{ S U P P L I E S }
You can find everything you need from your local craft store, and chances are you already have scissory, glue gun, and glue. And I found this awesome wooden star on a stick for about $2 and the yarn for about $5 (you'll have TONS left over)

 
Basically I just wrapped around each point of the star and glued along the way. I tried to make things an non-perfect as possible. But you can just wind around in perfect stripes just as easily. Then for the center I wrapped it around flat in a circular motion. It seemed easiest at the time and it actually was. It was a lot easier than the points.  Then, we used some extra yard to wrap the stick around the top of our tree and I think it turned out fantastic!

5 comments:

Rachel - De Ma Cuisine said...

What a cute idea!!!

Joe+Kathrina said...

Aaaaadorable!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE this and am in the exact situation when it comes to Christmas stuff! I am making most of our Christmas ornaments this year :) Hadn't even gotten to the topper yet, but I think I might use your genius idea. Thank yoU!!!

Jessie

Anonymous said...

Such a brilliant idea. I have all the stuff, so will definitely make it.

Anonymous said...

I have a tiny little desk tree and was in desperate need of a small tree topper when i came across this

Post a Comment