Wednesday, June 29, 2011

DIY Skirt by Kelly Hicks



Hi lovelies! This is Kelly from Kelly Hicks Design. I'm a designer, photographer, thrifter and creator of things. I'm honored to be guest posting for Emilee!

My favorite things to blog about are DIYs so I'm going to be showing you how to transform a boring sheer curtain into a flow-y summer skirt! Even though the last time I attempted a skirt it was a total failure; I'm happy to say this time, it was a little more successful!

This was actually very easy to do. Don't be intimidated if you are new at sewing! I'm still trying to figure out how to sew in a straight line ;). In fact every time I need new thread in the bobbin, I have to pop in the instructional DVD to figure out how to do it. ha

Here's what you'll need:

1) Cutting mat
2) Ruler
3) Safety pins
4) Snaps to match your ribbon
5) 1 panel sheer curtain
6) Craft thread in contrasting color
7) Rotary cutter
8) Blanket binding in any color
9) Scissors
10) Pins


To finish, I bought a white slip for underneath the skirt. I think this skirt has so many styling options, I'd love to see how others do it!

If you have questions, please ask in the comment section and I'd be happy to help! For more DIYs, go to my blog: http://kellyhicksdesign.com/blog and subscribe at http://kellyhicksdesign.com/feed/.

3 comments:

Shannon LaBare said...

This is so "Sound of Music." I love it!

Karin Marie said...

This is super easy and turns out so cute! love it!

Amanda Slater said...

Oh my gosh! So lovely. I love that you used blanket binding. I'm gonna try this and put a large bow on the back over the snaps with long tails hanging from the bow. Thanks!!

Post a Comment